Monday, October 11, 2010

First Professional Haircut

I had trimmed the hair around Andrews ears, and along his neckline a few times already, but Ted and I both thought it was time for him to get a big boy haircut. So we went to Sports Clips tonight and let him get a real haircut. They did a fantastic job. Of course it helps that he is so good.








He is finally getting the 'kuh' sound of the C. Today Nana said he looked at the cat and perfectly clearly said "Cat" to her. We were practicing the c sound yesterday and he had it down pretty well, I just haven't heard him use it with any words yet.

Speaking of yesterday.. this kid eats like a horse!! We went to celebrate a friend's anniversary with their family at Mellow Mushroom. I ordered a large veggie pizza thinking Andrew could eat the toppings on that one just fine. While we were waiting, I gave him an organic kid's cliff bar. He ate the entire thing! Then some cereal puffs, and probably an entire pizza slice worth of pizza toppings of black and green olives, mushrooms, onions, pepper, tomato, feta cheese, spinach, and broccoli, as well as some pizza crust. He was eating so fast I hardly got a chance to eat a piece of pizza myself! I just couldnt believe how he was putting it away!  After dinner we went to Sweet Cece's for dessert and he got a few bites of pomegranate raspberry frozen yogurt with chocolate chips in and thought it was the best thing since sliced cheese. He was not happy when that was gone.  But he has been eating like that lately.  The other day he ate an entire apple and more in one sitting.  Today he ate some turkey, green beans, some apple, and an entire half of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch when he'd just had a bottle of milk probably 40 minutes earlier. For dinner tonight he didn't eat as much, but he ate a mound of sauteed mushrooms and onions, and a big slice of tomato.. he didn't really care for the broccoli even with the cheese on it but I think it might have been a texture thing for him although it could be because the broccoli got cold. He did eat some of it - just not most of it.

At the restaurant yesterday there was a little girl with us. I'm guessing she is around 3 to 4. Anyway, she came over and was pretending to be a lion and roaring at Andrew. All of a sudden Andrew started roaring back! It was so funny.

This afternoon when I was trying to prepare his dinner, he was crawling around smacking his lips like he was trying to make a kissing sound.

He is walking really well, but still playing it safe. He will walk across a room slowly and then decide he wants to move faster and either finds something to push along like a walker or he crawls. He tries to run sometimes when you hold his hand. He really wants to move!

He enjoys playing the piano. He now knows how to open the lid and will stand there and play. I moved a metal suitcase over there so he would have something low to stand on that would give him just enough height to be able to play easily. Now he stands on it and plays and dances at the same time. Sometimes he sings too.

He says a lot of words but they're not all totally correct or understandable to someone who is not around him all the time. He says dog, ball, cat, duck, egg, tries to say elephant and comes out more Elle, says moo, meow, mama, dada, neh - whatever that is. Ta-da-da-da. I think he has said truck before. He makes motor noises to the picture of a tractor.  He says 'more' but I've already mentioned that in a previous post. I'm sure he says a lot more words than I realize too, but typically at his age they're happy if he tries to say 6 different words. He definitely has that down.

I forgot to mention that the pediatrician felt it necessary to go ahead and warn me of other people's reactions. Since he acts and looks so much older than he really is - strangers will judge him accordingly. Which means typically people will expect more of him not realizing he's younger.

I love how easy it is to communicate with Andrew. At the restaurant Sunday, when he wanted something to drink, he started signing for milk and I was able to give him his sippy cup of water. No tears, no frustration, no screaming or whining like I've seen other kids do to get what they want.  When he is eating, we can ask him with words and with signing "do you want more, or are you done?" He will usually respond appropriately. If he wants more, he'll say "moe." If he's done and you try to offer him more he shuts his eyes and shakes his head no.  If you are offering him a choice of foods, he will shake his head to one but open his mouth to another or reach for the other. If he's finished he tries to sign 'finished' but sometimes it looks like the sign for milk when he does it. He is using that sign less and just reaching out for your hands if you are signing what he wants.  But I understand it all and its so great!

I know there are other things he has been doing I just can't remember them long enough to post.

3 comments:

  1. These haircut pictures remind me so much of Adam and David's first haircuts. I didn't have as good a camera, but the pictures are so super special none the less.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and those cute little bare feet sticking out under the black cape just tickle my fancy!!! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the post babe. It brings a smile to my face when I get to read a new post. Even if I've already experienced it. :)
    I think if you ran the foot pictures in a circle like flower petals...that might look interesting.

    ReplyDelete