Monday, October 21, 2013

"Good call!"

Someone gave him some pajamas that are spaced themed and has tiny stars on it that glow in the dark.  The first time he wore them, just a few minutes after putting him to bed, he called to us telling
us he didn't want to wear them. Why?  "Because these stars do not turn off."  (the glowing ones)

Last week we let him pick out a mask, and he chose Ironman. We went out to dinner and he was wearing a blanket tied around his neck as a cape, and his Ironman mask. He wore them very confidently.

We were invited to a kids Princess and Imagination party (that ended up getting postponed til Spring) so I ordered him Ironman and Spiderman costumes that came with masks and gloves. I hung them both out on the clothes line and then just waited for Andrew to see them hanging outside. I knew he'd be excited.  I waited.. and waited.  Finally, we dropped some hints and suggested he look outside. His face lit up, he gasped with his jaw dropped ... and then said, "Look at that moth!!"  He instead became fascinated with a moth on the door.  lol  It wasn't until we suggested he GO outside to see the moth that he finally looked out just 10 feet past the door, straight in front of him, and said, "hey!! there's Ironman!" and he went out asking to wear them.  We went out to dinner at Cracker Barrel with him dressed up as Spiderman, and put in our 'reservation.' So "Spiderman, table for 4" got called over the intercom. 

Daddy has been trying to fix Andrew's "bed head" each morning before school. Tuesday when they were riding home, Ted said he had bed head again.  "No daddy, I have school-head"

Wednesday was a difficult day for all of us for various reasons. Andrew had a complete meltdown in the car on the way home just because he had to wait his turn to talk. When we said it was his turn, he fell apart (overtired).  Once home, he kept crying.  Daddy talked with him and Andrew continued to cry. I got in bed next to him and sang to him and rubbed his head and arm. Once he calmed down we started talking.
 He said, "Mom, things are not going well for me."
I told him, "I know. Things didn't go well for me today either. I'm very sad because one of my teachers wont be at school anymore."
"why not? Did she walk over to another school?"
"No, she doesn't have a job right now."
"I'll give her a job!"
"Yeah? What job would you give her?"
"Well, I'd give her your flashcards and she could build something. ... Or massage. She could massage."
"You'd pay her to come give you a massage? How much would you pay her?"
"Fifty dollars. .... Do I have fifty dollars? Is that all my money?"


Then he told me he had been crying because he was hungry. I told him that I knew he'd told me he was hungry, but because of how he was acting and crying, I couldn't give him a snack now. Because if I did, he'd learn that crying and fussing was a way to get what he wants, and it's not. That if he had handled himself differently, then I could have given him a snack when we got home. Amazingly, he accepted that.

Wednesday night Ted related an experience the teacher told him. During naptime, there was a little girl who would not obey the teacher or be quiet. Finally the teacher took her out of the room so everyone else could fall asleep. When she returned, Andrew said, "Good call! She was keeping everyone up?"


Daddy bought him two new books "Where the Sidewalk Ends" and "A Light in the Attic"  He likes the silly pictures in them. I'm hoping they'll read them together.

Friday at dinner, he asked for a drink. Ted started to get him a cup of water but Andrew started to flip out and whine and run from the table. I immediately halted him and reminded him of the experience Wednesday night where he didn't get what he wanted because of whining and crying. I asked him, "can you think of a better way to handle this situation?"  He calmly used his words and said, "daddy, may I please have some juice instead of water?"  Ted piped up "Because you asked so nicely, I will get you some juice." 

Saturday afternoon the boys were chasing each other around the yard and playing ball. Andrew kept holding onto his britches while he ran and pulling them up higher a lot. A few minutes later, he was chasing daddy and all of a sudden his pants ended up around his ankles and he fell flat on the ground. The button had come out of the elastic hold that allows you to adjust the waist line. Good thing he had a long sweater on!

Saturday we went out to dinner at Frankie's Pizza and Grill.  Andrew drummed up plenty of conversation with two of the waiters, and impressed them when he asked for jalapenos on his cheese pizza. Later our waiter, Danny, said, "you have a really bright little boy."  I said, "you have no idea!"  He said, 'yes I do, I have a 24 month old and an 8 month old'.  Ted picked up the little dessert menu and handed it to Andrew and said, "Here, read this."   Andrew thought he was getting to choose a dessert saying, "Hmmm, I'll have......"  Then the waiter asked, "Can you read me the first one?"   Andrew read it smoothly and perfectly - even 'liqueur'  and the waiter was dumbfounded.

1 comment:

  1. Costumes at restaurants, reading menus to wow the waiter...perceptive comments and learning manner skills..what a great kid you have!

    ReplyDelete