Monday, May 26, 2014

Hangman in French?

One morning I was in the shower and Andrew decided to sit and play with toys on the floor. He was talking to me but I really couldn't hear well.  I peek out and see him in jammies still when he needed to be dressed for school already. I asked him if he'd eaten and told him he needs to eat so he's not too hungry before lunch.  He leaps up, "oh yeah. I do need to do that. Thanks for reminding me of that mom!" as he swiftly marched out the door.

Andrew had the assigned bible reading in Exodus about the Israelites making a golden calf to worship.  We got the assignment two weeks ago but only practiced it for one week. He did exceptionally well!  His very first time reading through it was seven minutes long but that was because he'd stop and ask questions (like, 'where is Egypt?' and asking for help with pronunciation of some big words) It was less than 4 minutes when he presented it.  He remembered to stand still, to follow along with his finger, and to slow down at commas. Excellent job. 
I didn't get to see it in person. I've been having trouble breathing lately and the chemicals at the hall are too much right now while I'm in school too.  Daddy used the video camera for me.  Afterward they went to sonic for ice cream with the Hernings and let him play. The place was packed with teenagers and daddy said all the girls were ooh-ing over Andrew in his gray and black vested suit with a crimson shirt and black tie.  Daddy was dressed to match.  They didn't get to bed until 11pm.

At 5:45 daddy turned the lights on to wake Andrew up for school. He is never amused to be awakened like that on Thursday mornings. I was impressed he was functioning at all since he was 3 hours short on sleep. He was very cooperative in getting ready and out the door by 6:20.
Friday was his scheduled last day of school. Daddy decided he was going to work from home Friday and I have a CPR class to attend, so we offered Andrew the choice of going to his last day at Primrose or staying home.  He didn't even have to think... HOME!

Thursday evening we watched Jimmy Neutron Boy Genius while eating our homemade bean salsa dip and nachos. I think it is one of the first movies that captivated Andrew the entire time. The aliens come and abduct all the parents and the kids go crazy. I asked Andrew how long he'd last without a mommy and daddy. He said, "Mmm.. one day." Then quickly corrected himself, " Nope - zero." 
At one point in the movie, all the little kids are gathered around a campfire and a boy is telling a 'scary' story. Right at the punchline another comes jumping from behind the log and scares all the rest of the kids who go hysterical. There is a pause and Andrew says, "Heh. I was scared." in the most calm and relaxed voice.  Ted and I about lost it trying not to laugh too hard. He didn't seem scared at all!

Andrew is very excited at the prospect of spending a few days with Nana and Papa at their house, and getting to play with his cousins.  Thursday morning he asked if he could take his bicycle. Then he said we need to buy Papa a bike to ride too - a green one because "that is Papa's favorite color; like mine, and he loves me."

Sunday morning we tested it out and let him have a piece of candy with food coloring in it. A Lemonhead and a Warhead.  About an hour later, still early in the morning, he was an emotional basketcase.  Things that have never phased him before were blown out of proportion and he was fighting back tears or all of a sudden sobbing.  We rode it out patiently, I let him cuddle in my lap and talk and tried to distract him with other things.  He was still being obedient and kind, he was just emotional and fragile. He was back to normal after lunch and a nap thank goodness. I dont know if it was related to food coloring or a sugar crash or something else. It was too early for him to have been over-tired.

Sunday after the meeting we went with a group to Frankie's Pizza and Grill.  Miranda and Lauren introduced him to the game of hangman. The only problem is.. Andrew didn't enlist help and would make up words for them to guess. And, he'd make up a definition to go with his made up word. It's very hard to play hangman that way.
Monday morning I tried to play with him... my first word to guess:  "Aap Nooiss" (pronounced Noose)    Aap is for App - like apps for the ipad.  "Nooiss" is "the French word for 'moo cow'"  in case you didn't know. I didn't.

Daddy is modifying the pergola over the back deck so we can put a clear roof on it.  Andrew desperately wanted a chance to walk on the roof. Daddy finally took him up there and walked with him and let him check out the "smoke stack" chimney. He was so excited to come in and share his experience with me. 
He was up at 6am ready to see Nana and Papa. He asked EVERY hour, almost to the hour, how much longer before they arrive!

We enjoyed a nice anniversary lunch with Nana and Papa. Andrew didn't eat nearly as much as he usually does and was eager to leave and head to the farm before anyone else was done eating. 

1 comment:

  1. He is behaving wonderfully well...though still not eating much. I think he is trying out everything he and Papa can think of to do.

    ReplyDelete