Sunday, June 23, 2013

My Little Thinking Man

Tuesday was another violin lesson. First, the teacher took the violin and said she was going to tune it while Andrew practiced holding the bow. She started plucking a string and Andrew said, "Hey! That's the E string!"  She said he was right and I about fell out of my chair! I just cannot comprehend how
he learns these things so quickly and seemingly so easily.

Ted took him to gymnastics Wednesday. There was a different teacher than usual and Andrew was hesitant to participate at first. Daddy said that Andrew was very attentive and obedient (which could not be said for a few of the other kids in the small class.)  This day they started jumping from a spring board to a pole. Daddy was surprised that he was about the smallest in the class, yet could jump so far.

Thursday morning he came in my room already dressed. He had his superman shirt on and came in singing the tune of the theme song using "dun dun" as the words for each note. He crawled into bed with me and said, "but mommy, but mommy, what if I were a superman?"  (imitating the words in the book 'I love you stinkyface') 

On the way home from school, he asked me how we float up into Heaven. I told him we don't. He said, "Then how did Jesus float up into heaven?"  I told him I didn't really know for sure, I could only guess that Jehovah used his spirit or that the angels have some sort of wings.  Andrew said, "Maybe he used his imagination." 

Thursday evening our cousins from San Francisco came to visit. He had a nice time playing with McKenna in the pool.  He is now launching himself into the pool, nearly doing a belly flop. He'll even spin jump off the deck. This night he asked if he could "fall in backwards." We told him he could and as he stepped backwards to get ready, he stepped a little too far and nearly fell in which startled him. He said, "I don't want to jump backwards now" and turned and jumped in like usual.

He walks around singing a pirate song a lot ... "Yar har fiddley dee, being a pirate is alright with me (something else I can't remember).... I'm a pirate, Arrrr!"  But there are a few words in there he isn't sure of so he kind of jumbles and makes some words to fit in the place. He's so cute.

Andrew seems very concerned lately with Satan. He tells me he doesn't want to make Satan happy (we've discussed how when someone hurts another, it makes Satan happy, but Satan isn't our friend and he won't take care of us like Jehovah does) and he knows that Satan will be locked up (and 'go to jail') when Jehovah makes the earth a paradise.  He was talking again about it in bed Thursday night. Sometimes it seems like he thinks HE has to destroy Satan. I assured him Jehovah will take care of it all and that Andrew just has to focus on being the good person he is. After I said that he corrected me and told me Jesus was going to lock up Satan. So I agreed, that yes, when Jehovah says it's time, Jesus will lock up Satan for a while.  (does he ever stop thinking so deeply??!)
  He then asked me if good people ever go to jail. I told him I hope not, because it's really a place for people who do bad things. He asked me what it looks like. I told him I'd never been, but it's like a room with a fence on it, and being locked in that room for a long time. I finally explained to him that he doesn't need to worry about that. That little people like him don't go to jail; adults do. So he asked if mommy or daddy would go to jail. I told him hopefully not - as long as we stay out of trouble and only do good things, we should be able to stay out of jail.

Friday we had appointments with Adam Roberts. He arrived with a bandaid on his finger (from school). The receptionist asked him if he had an "owwie protector."  He said, "No, it's just a band-aid." 
Later when we were waiting for Nana and Papa, we played in a grassy area next to the parking lot. He squatted next to a large car and was looking under the backend of it. He said, "Wow. It has a big engine, doesn't it? It has two exhaust thingys."  (I found out later Ted had told him months ago that when a vehicle has a large engine, it usually has two exhaust pipes.)

Friday after lunch, I took him to The Monkey's Treehouse to play. He was so good. There was another kid his size who was not as kind. He'd go down the slide and Andrew would be at the top checking to see if it was clear to go down, but then the kid would turn around and run back up the inside and go down again; never letting Andrew have a turn. Andrew was being so nice asking for a turn and patiently waiting. Most other kids would go down anyway.
When that place closed at 2pm, we moved up the street to Shipwrecked where he'd been begging to go. He still loves that little red dirt devil vaccum cleaner he remembers from years ago when we went. He'd push it up and down the ramp of the ship and all over the place. He also liked their cars and train tracks.

Sunday his answer during the watchtower was "some are getting sidetracked"  and after the meeting a friend came up to him and said, "So.. some get sidetracked. Do you even know what sidetracked means?"  Andrew just looks up at him and says, "distracted."   My kid is awesome. (yes I did tell him the meaning of the word when we went over the watchtower lesson earlier in the morning. I was surprised that he remembered though.)

Sunday after meeting I said, "let's get you out of your clothes" and started unbuttoning his vest. He said, "I can do these buttons! Hold on Skippy!"  I had to leave the room just so I could laugh. 

1 comment: