Sunday, February 17, 2013

Icky goo and good goo

I think we're about to have another growth spurt.. he's been eating a LOT of food! Probably double to triple what he usually does.

Monday February 11th, after I was certain he'd settled and fallen asleep for nap, I went and settled in my own bed. A minute later I hear his door open, his feet patter up and down the hallway, then his fan get turned back on.  I decided, 'he's being quiet and leaving me alone, I'm not getting up yet.'  After 45 minutes of really not falling soundly asleep, I got up. He had gone somewhere to get a flashlight, and fell asleep holding it. After nap he told me he needed more light because it was too dark to see.
I forgot to mention last Friday that I overheard the teacher talking to another parent/helper while I was signing in. I have no idea what they were looking at or talking about, but I heard, "Now Andrew can identify ALL of these things, but some of the older children still can't..." and then she went on to say something about how it reflects what kids are drawn to doing or interest in or something. They were talking in a very low voice and by the time I was done washing my hands, they had moved so I still have no idea what they were talking about. Although whatever it was - I'm sure that it was something that I taught Andrew before he went to school and has nothing to do with him being interested in something.

Tuesday, overnight I didn't get much sleep and decided to go ahead and get up before 6 and start editing photos. Ted was juicing his breakfast, Andrew still asleep. Then I hear a thermos hit the floor and bounce. I was summoned to come help clean up a tremendous mess as he had to leave for work. I was almost done getting the floor and cabinets cleaned when Andrew came in. He still had to wait for me to finish disassembling and cleaning the juicer parts and counter. In the meantime, he was sent to find some school clothes to wear. It wasn't even two full minutes after I was done cleaning up the kitchen mess, I hear him peeing on the floor in the bathroom! I run in there. He'd laid his clothes on the floor and was peeing in the "square" next to them. (all I can think is he saw daddy's pile of clothes on the kitchen floor with juice mess all over them and was reinacting it?) I grab some towels and vinegar and clean that up and say, "Andrew, what made you think it is okay to pee on the floor? It is never okay to pee on my floor." Completely indifferent to the situation he says,"You are correct"

Wednesday evening at the dinner table, after just a few bites of dinner, Andrew tells us he doesn't want to eat any dinner and acts like he's gagging and wants to spit his food out.  We both threaten him and tell him he'd better swallow. He keeps making gagging faces so I just get up and leave. Daddy finally explained to him, that as long as he is saying, "I can't", he'll have a hard time, but if he says, "I can" - he'll be able to finish that bite.  Eventually daddy set a timer for 5 minutes and told him all his food had to be gone by then. He told me that Andrew turned into a champ and was saying, "I can!" and eating his bites just fine.  whew

This week he started to play "kingdom hall meeting." He tells me to sit down, he chooses a song to sing, and then reads from the Bible. He seems to want to read from Exodus. He started to read and then had to run to the bathroom. So while he was in there, I switched it to one of the gospel accounts. He read one verse and looked at me and said, "They didn't bring any food to eat! They were hungry!" It was the story of Jesus preaching and having to feed a lot of people from just a few loaves and fishes.  I'm always impressed that he can read something for the first time AND comprehend what he reads. I was never good at that.

Thursday we spent the entire morning and half the afternoon in service. He was perfect the entire time. We brought friends home with us to have lunch. He had just three bites of hotdog left and I told him when he finished his bites of salad and hotdog - he could have a cookie.  He finished his salad and then looked at the plate and said, "The birds are hungry! I think we should throw this outside!" Ha ha.. I love how he thinks. But no, I would not let him pawn the rest of his food off to birds so he could get his cookie faster. 

Andrew tells everyone about the path of the digestive system. Thursday I got to show him the insides of a mouse! Flash ate one, and then threw it up on the floor, but you could see all the insides perfectly. Andrew seemed lost for words as I pointed out the intestines, and the stomach and kidney, and a foot. He told his teacher about it on Friday and added that it was 'icky'

Early early Saturday morning we awoke to a loud thud and then crying. Andrew fell out of his bed and hit his head on the floor. Daddy was able to run in there and cuddle with him for a while.

Saturday in service we introduced him to a Twix candy bar. He took one bite and asked me "what is the goo inside?" He liked it!  Someone at school gave him some candy on Friday that he brought home. He looked through it and asked me, "Can I try the candy that says KitKat on it?"  So I guess that one will be next.  He's pretty good at accepting that I won't let him have candy with food coloring in it. I have given him organic natural jelly beans so he doesn't feel like he misses out entirely. He is definitely a fan of anything chocolate, and he's drawn to anything colorful. 

Saturday evening we were invited to a dinner party at the Cutler's mansion. Daddy told him we were going to a castle and he got all excited and asked if a princess lives there. There were lots of children there running around and he had a BLAST. They had a lifesize Goliath made of cardboard with a bell on the forehead. Each child got a chance to use a slingshot and pingpong balls to be "David" and try to hit that bell to kill Goliath.  No one did but they had fun trying.

He sure loves being an entertainer. He speaks so emphatically and has so much personality - he makes everyone laugh. That of course feeds him to try and be more funny. Everyone just adores him.
On the flipside.. he is constantly asking me questions; even if he knows the answer to it. He just wants me to be in a conversation with him constantly.

He likes playing with his matchbox cars. He lines them all up or arranges them neatly and tells me they're having a car convention.  They're always in a different formation when I see them left in the middle of the floor.

Sunday was the first time we went to the Spring Hill Sunday meeting since the new carpet and being the second congregation.  During the last 40 minutes of the meeting, he climbed into my lap asking to lie down. He wanted to rest his head on my shoulder but couldn't get comfy. I finally laid him across my lap and held his head and shoulders in my arm. He snuggled in and kept rubbing my breast and looking up at me smiling saying, "boobies!"  I put an end to that quickly and started stroking his face. Soon he was out cold and got a good 25-30 minute nap in.

2 comments:

  1. Never a dull moment with Andrew! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a sweetie. Btw, I have ONE side rail thingy to put on a bed to keeps kids from falling out while sleeping. I know it's onle one, but would you like to borrow it?

    ReplyDelete