Saturday, February 9, 2013

I love this little boy

Ted has an iphone where you can press a button and speak into it and it'll respond. Ted can say, "take me home" and it'll pull up a map and give directions home.  Sunday morning, Andrew picked up the phone and was loudly saying, "take me to the farm! .....  take me to the farm!" 
I guess daddy got an app on the phone that is a creature that repeats everything you say in a silly voice. Andrew was having it repeat, "I love you a bushel and a peck." which shortly turned into "a bushel and a butt"  and then he laughed and said, "it said butt!"  which of course it repeated which made him laugh harder, which made it laugh too.  ayeayeaye

Andrew was doing something and daddy said, "Andrew!"  and Andrew froze with his arms out and said in a goofy voice, "why are you freakin' out?!" lol

Every field we pass Andrew asks, "Is that a field?"  followed by "Is that the field that Barry and daddy ran in?"  I tell him every time that the field is really far away and we'll probably never see it because it's not near anything we ever drive to.  But then he asks, "is it in the sky? the sky is far away."   I tell him it's not in the sky.  Then he moves on to telling me "but Jesus and Jehovah flew up to the sky when they died."  So I try to explain that Jehovah never did, Jehovah has never died and has always been in heaven, but yes, when Jesus died on earth, he went up to heaven and he lives in heaven now, alive as an invisible spirit. We talk about the difference between flesh and blood, and spirit beings. Each conversation is a little different and I can tell he's trying really hard to understand that difficult concept. But every field he sees and asks about - ends up on that conversation. I guess he associates the "really far far away" explanation for the field - with the sky being far away.

He's really good at finding 'hidden' pictures in those hide-and-seek kind of books.

He has taken an interest in the Calvin and Hobbes comics.

Wednesday I bought (secondhand but still brand new) his first set of real Legos. He wants them so badly, but they're so expensive!!  They are hard to find second hand too, at least around here. It's just a small box, but it's a start. He likes them.

He is finally sitting down and actually reading books rather than just studying the pictures. On our way home from errands on Thursday, he sat in the back and ready Jack and the Beanstalk outloud.

I discovered Thursday afternoon, that Andrew used the end of his fork to carve a few A's into our dining table. Even though he got in trouble for it, he seemed a little proud of it too.  (Friday he sat down at the table waiting for dinner and told me all on his own that he carved into the table because he was trying to get my attention and I wasn't listening. Hmmm. He was having to eat his dinner by himself because he wouldn't stop playing and we didn't feel like sitting at the table for two hours, yet he insisted on finishing his dinner.)

He's been telling me lately as he's making big truck noises that he is "driving a big blue truck, daddy's big blue truck"

Anyone who leaves our house, Andrew tells them, "drive carefully! Be careful not to drive in the grass or you might get pulled over."  And any vehicle he sees pulled over on the side of the road with a police car behind it he says, "uh oh.. there's been an accident." Or he'll ask, "Did they get pulled over for going too fast?" 

I never imagined I'd hear my own three year old (or any 3yr old) say, "can I please have some more coconut water in my cup please?"  Or come to me and ask if he can have some crackers (the organic wheat thins) then pick out some yogurt covered raisins, and then say, "Hummus. Do we have any hummus? Can I have some hummus, and maybe some ketchup too?"   He has a divided plate, and I put the crackers in the big part, and then the raisins in one of the wells. Then he wanted me to put a scoop of hummus in another well, and ketchup in the last well.  What an odd snack!
I'm really proud of him though, he's been eating everything I put in front of him lately. Veggie soups, broccoli, avocado in lots of different forms, lettuce wraps with veggies and avocado, asparagus, salads, salmon. Of course he loves fruits too and has enjoyed having fresh pineapple and blueberries lately instead of the usual dried fruit and nuts I carry around. And he had his first couple of glasses of fresh squeezed orange juice this week which he enjoyed.

2 comments:

  1. I am impressed at how adventuresome YOU have gotten in feeding your family...and it is wonderful that your son has chosen to be willing to try things and eat healthy choices...but often, the child follows the lead of the parent.

    Interesting reasoning for Andrew to somehow go from fields to heaven in his search for understanding.

    ReplyDelete