Saturday, February 2, 2013

A New Bed - A big bed!

Andrew has really taken to the games Candyland and Chutes and Ladders at school. I thought he might enjoy having them at home too so we got them for him. He opened his game cabinets and said, "oh no! There's no more room in my cabinets for my new games!"
He doesn't see the point in playing though if he can't go first AND win. "I want to won too."

Daddy taught him the "I like traffic lights.... but only when they're green" song, but Andrew likes to sing it "I like traffic lights, I like traffic lights, but when they're only red."  

We took apart his toddler bed on Sunday morning and replaced it with a full size mattress set. The bed rails had to be ordered but it is giving him a nice transition period having the mattress on the floor.  I looked down the hallway at his room and thought it'd be a good run to leap into his bed. He LOVED that idea but had trouble jumping into it. So we put the trampoline at the foot of the bed which held the door open and gave him a little bit of a launchpad to leap from. He got a running start, bounced on the trampoline, landed on the bed and did a somersault. Over and over again!
    When we put him to bed Sunday night, we sent him to go potty. While he was in the bathroom, we turned off the lights, turned his stars on and crawled into the bed and waited. He came back to the room, obviously a little puzzled. I felt him feeling the lump where my feet were and then daddy stuck his head up and made some noise. Andrew laughed with delight and started to crawl toward us on the bed. I said, "I dont know if there is enough room for all of us."  Andrew, still very carefully crawling trying to be between our bodies says, "Yes there is enough room for all of us!" And he got under the covers and squeezed between us. We all sat there giggling. He really thought we were all going to sleep in his bed tonight.  Then daddy got out of the bed and Andrew got a little sad and begged me not to get out of his bed. I snuggled with him for a minute, I explained to him that I'd sleep in my own bed so we'd both sleep better, then we talked about what things we could pray about, said our prayers and I kissed him goodnight.

After filling the toilet, Andrew only pressed halfway down on the handle so it made water noises but didn't flush. I showed him that it didn't flush and that pushing the handle all the way is how to do it. He started to get upset that I flushed it for him so I asked him if he'd like to see how the toilet works. He got excited. I took the lid off the back and show him how the tank fills up with water, and how when we push on the handle, it lifts and all the water rushes down the hole and into the toilet to flush. Then it fills back up.  He seemed to grasp the concept enough and I put it back together.  Then as we went to wash hands, he said, "Mom, thanks for showing me all that, for showing me how the toilet works."  what a sweetie.

A week or so ago we were sitting on the floor playing games and the lighting was really pretty in the kitchen, and he had a lovely blue shirt on that brought out the blue in his eyes. I asked him if I could take pictures of him. I stood him by the back door but he would NOT smile and look at the camera. I asked, "can you please look at me and smile?"  He said, "But I can't see you!"  lol  "Right... can you look in the camera and smile?"  Then of course he steps toward me and tries to look through it like a telescope. Trial and error - I managed to say the right things here and there to get him to partially stand still, lean against the wall, and smile and giggle and occasionally look my direction.

Daddy had the opportunity to take Andrew to school on Tuesday the 29th. On the way in, Andrew was showing him the "hooligan hoops"  (hula hoops) 
He told me his favorite thing at school today was he and another girl getting sprayed with water by her daddy to get washed off after playing in the sand and dirt.  They also got to shoot bows and arrows today into a target box. He told me they went really fast!
Tuesday evening Andrew told daddy that his knees hurt because his tummy was full. Not sure where that logic came from - though he complained all evening of his knees hurting. It didn't stop him from jumping, flipping, and dancing in his bed half the evening.
After brushing teeth and going potty, Andrew announced that his feet were dirty. I realized that he had played in the sand at school and home today and I didn't give him a bath. Without looking I said, "Yes! They probably are!"  The next thing I knew, he had climbed into my bathroom sink and was washing his feet!

Wednesday for lunch, Andrew just wanted golden raisins. But shortly after eating several he said he wanted something else too. So he chose a greek cow/goat milk yogurt with honey. I offered him some frozen blueberries to add which he did. I had the frozen peas out to add to my lunch and asked him if he'd like any frozen peas.  "For my yogurt?"  I told him that was his choice and set them on his plate. He added them and seemed to like it! 
I paid $3 at a consignment sale for a pair of those strap-on practice roller skates. With his regular shoes on, they don't fit. But they fit if he has his water shoes on! He has really enjoyed strolling up and down the hallway and likes having me push or pull him along too.

Friday morning Andrew came into my room for the second time and whispered, "mommy, the ground is covered in snow!"  Sure enough! Even school got canceled.  We bundled up and played outside for a little while. I still had a dentist appointment to go to and now he had to come with me. I let him play the ipad and he was so good.
Afterward, we met daddy for lunch. We tried a sushi place that had a rotating bar and you just take what you want off of it. Andrew was intrigued by it and excited when I gave him permission to take a plate off the conveyor. He couldn't believe we let him order sweet tea too!


Friday evening the Moody's came for dinner. He kept calling Nicholas "hey Moody..."  He had a blast playing with Nicholas and Ian.  We also played Boxers or Briefs.. and Andrew was holding his own, reading the cards and choosing which cards to use all by himself. He was actually winning when he decided to quit and play Mario Kart.

Saturday, we woke up to snow again! Andrew asked me if he could play outside.  I had to get ready for work, but daddy finally consented. I asked Andrew if he was going to make a snowman and he ran to the fridge and grabbed a carrot. He's a faster thinker than I am.  Andrew and daddy both shoveled the deck into a pile of snow and made a snowman. They also made a great snow-caterpillar.

He has been enjoying his new bed. He will take the ipad and sit in his bed to play. He'll sit and read books there. One morning I sent him back to bed and instead of sleeping, he got a few toys and was sitting in his bed playing. And of course, he still uses it as a trampoline. At one point, daddy was picking him up by the ankles and balancing him in the air and then letting him crash down on the bed. Andrew loved that ... "mom! watch this!"  looking at my all the way up and down and as he bounced back up - making sure I was watching the entire time.

2 comments:

  1. Wonder if all the bed jumping is going to be a problem later as he gets bigger! Sure sounds like fun right now. Love all these tales. You will be SO glad you have this record. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete