Monday, April 30, 2012

"Yes means yes and yes means no"

One of the latest things we've been trying to teach Andrew is Matthew 5:37 where we're told to let our yes mean yes, and our no, no.  I try to give Andrew choices as much as possible, but he'll say one thing, I get it for him and he's changed his mind. He would just keep going back and forth if I let him. He thinks it's funny. So I started teaching him the scripture and trying to explain what it means using whatever the latest option is as an example. "Okay, if you're choosing juice instead of milk, you're saying yes to juice and I expect you to drink it."  I dont really know if it sinks in too well. But when he tries to repeat it - he says, "no means yes and yes means yes."  *sigh*  

Whenever Andrew is outside, warm or cold, he asks to turn the sprinkler on. Recently he was outside and the hose was turned on so it was leaking at the handle. Andrew took the end of the sprinkler that is supposed to hook up to the hose and was holding it up to the drip hoping that it'd be enough water to come out the sprinkler.  I am also told he is now tall enough to reach the handle to turn the water on himself.  Great!

I have tried to let him help me water the garden a couple of times. He starts off watering the plants but then he decides to "water the clouds" and "water the airplanes"  and is getting everything but the plants wet.

Recently I was pushing him on the swing and an airplane started flying overhead. He pointed it out and I asked him where he thought the plane was headed. He said, "It's going west to California!"  I was stunned as it was actually flying West, though I dont know that he fully understands those directions that well yet.  When I told Ted, he was shocked because that was a conversation they'd had just once two weeks prior! 
Later at Lowes he was telling an employee that he was going to get on a plane and fly to California and go to the beach and swim with the dolphins. Among many other stories that I can't remember.

Andrew ran to the potty and sat himself on it. I came to check on him and he said it was stinky. I asked if he'd like me to turn on the vent and he said okay. Then I was trying to explain to Andrew how the vent in the bathroom can take the stinky air up and out. He stated back to me that the poo goes up into the vent so I told him, that no, the poo stays in the toilet, just the stinky smell goes up.  HE translated it as the big poo stays in the toilet and the little poo goes up the vent. I tried to reexplain the air thing. Then he tells me the stinky air goes up the vent and gets put into a garbage bag and taken out to the garbage for Mr. Jim to pick up with his garbage truck.

Sunday April 29th - he rattled off the days of the week in order. I've not heard him do that before. Anytime he is waiting for something in particular (like the next time he'll see Nana or go to the meeting) I'll say, "not until Tuesday. Today is Friday. So we have Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday.  We have the rest of today plus 4 days until we see Nana."

We have been going to Lowe's a LOT lately as we are remodeling the master bath and making plans to remodel the kitchen. We can't get out of Lowe's without letting Andrew "see" and play with the vacuum cleaners.  He has also added riding a lawn mower to his must see list. Thankfully, they are by each other. So we let him go handle a few vacuum cleaners then go ride a couple of lawn mowers before we leave the store.

He is also more interested in time. He asks throughout the day "what time is it?" and then take a guess.  He knows his alarm clock Momo wakes up at 7am.  I've casually been teaching him how to read a clock, the hour hand and the minute hand and what the numbers represent. He likes clocks.

Andrew wanted to help me do laundry so I got the washer filling with water and told him to throw all the laundry in from his hamper. When it was full of water it stopped filling at the same time he threw in a sock. He looked puzzled ... then with one hand hit the edge of the washer hoping it'd kick back on. That didn't work so he used both hands to hit the washing machine. LOL  I can only imagine where he learned that! 

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha... watering the clouds and airplanes, hahaha. (I know where his story about flying to CA and going to the beach and swimming with dolphins came from, too, haha.)

    These blog posts never fail to have me laughing out loud! I love them. Such a precious child. You're doing a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Andrew and I spent a swing session...following Eese's...talking about planes flying in different directions...and talking about which way is West (to CA) or East (where the sun comes up) and so forth. He had it all down that afternoon...though I wouldn't have expected him to remember it all.

    He has been talking clock time to me, also. He frequently repeats that when the hand gets to 6, Nana will be here. When the hand gets to 9, Papa will be here. Then we talk about everyone being at work...and where each family member works.

    ReplyDelete