Friday, October 28, 2011

Andrew help

A couple of Saturdays ago, Andrew and I were in the ministry with another couple. We passed by a field with wild turkeys in it. For some reason I made a comment about Turkeys and that "we like to eat Turkey, don't we?" which was probably followed by me gobbling like a turkey and pretending to tickle Andrew. Days later, we are looking at a book of animals. Andrew gets to the turkey picture... "Turkey.... eat it?" 

He has already lost interest in the stickers for his potty chart. So.. I told him that whenever HE tells us that he needs to go potty and goes on the toilet - he'll get chocolate and a sticker.  I'm pretty sure that will never happen. Although, he will tell us whenever we're at a restaurant or store.. just not at home.

This past Saturday I had to work all day. Ted took Andrew to Storybook Village for a about an hour. Andrew liked climbing up the rock wall, going down the slide, and then chasing after Ted to "zap daddy!" Apparently other parents there got a kick out of it.

I think his favorite restaurant is Olive Garden. He talks about it a lot. I think he also has the breakfast, lunch, and dinner sorted out correctly in his head now.  Before, lunch and dinner were both called "munch" or "wunch" to him. Sunday night he pointed to his plate of food and said, "dinner" and then looked at me for confirmation.

He has interesting little conversations with himself that describe what he sees around him. He'll start off with some jibberish and then start making sense - but the rest of it all follows a pattern. " and uh .. a cup, yeah, a cup. And uhhh, and a plate, yeah, a plate. And uhhh, and a fork, yeah, a fork."  That was obviously at the dinner table. In the car he'll be doing that with trees, cows, red tractor, a fire engine.

We get catalogs in the mail all the time advertising kid stuff. Andrew loves to sit down and read them over and over again until the pages fall out. He talks about the different toys and pictures he sees in them. 

If you want to see Andrew have a nearly complete meltdown... let Flash in or out the door yourself, rather than let Andrew do it. Oh my goodness! I made the mistake of letting Flash out while Andrew was eating breakfast. He went crazy crying "Andrew help!!"  I told him he could open the door and see if Flash would like back in and he calmed down. I have had to explain more than once, that it helped Flash to let mommy open the door (rather than let him stand outside in the cold pouring rain waiting for Andrew to come open the door) but that Andrew could help the next time. He seems to accept that.

No comments:

Post a Comment