Friday, August 19, 2011

What's Your Name?

If Andrew doesn't know your name.. he assigns one to you. It will most likely be, "Ashley", "Anna" (pronounced On-uh not Ann-uh), "Grace" or "Nick"  even if he knows you're not any of those particular people.And if you're older, you must be "Grandma Bess."  He thinks all grandma's are named Bess apparently. 

Andrew has figured out how to unlock the windows AND is strong enough to open and close them. That is no easy task! He also knows how to open and close all the doors, although some of them are a little harder for him. We just changed locks on the front door so at least if it's locked, he can't get out. Before, the knob would open the door from the inside even if it was locked.

One day he got close and looked at my bookshelf. Suddenly let out a high pitched shriek like you'd expect from a ten year old girl, and pointed at the shelf and calmly said, "Ant."  I inspected and there was no ant. He insisted there was but I dont know what he was seeing. 
Later he was opening and closing the living room window and a moth appeared. He got all panicky and asked for help down (off the amplifier) to get away from it.


One morning he finally told me he needed to go potty.. and did go. So I explained to him that I had bought some big boy underwear for him and he could wear them as long as he told me or Nana when he needed to go potty. He actually went the entire day with only one accident! Thanks to Nana being so observant and helpful in asking him constantly and encouraging him to go.
A few days later he started the day out the same, telling me when he needed to go. I kept him in diapers still since I wasn't able to be aggressive about it and he wouldn't go some of the times I tried to get him to. He was in the same diaper most of the day though which is still progress.

I forgot to mention we've been bottle free since sometime in June! He made the transition to sippy cups quite easily. We let him have the bottle only at night for a few nights and then switched to sippy cup and he was fine! Now we're just giving him half or less in the sippy cup at naps and bedtime. He likes that time to sit in our lap and drink before being put in the bed.  The other day I tried just holding him instead and he asked for "lap".  He also will ask for lap if he's beyond tired at meetings and wants to go to sleep. Poor guy can't fall asleep there though and toughs it out every Wednesday night.

We're leaving tomorrow to go on vacation for a week. Hopefully I'll remember everything and get to take a lot of pictures to post when we get back.

2 comments:

  1. He is growing and changing so fast. My mom used to say she wished she could "bottle it" to enjoy later and that is much how I feel about these days with Andrew. I wish I could remember everything and savor it over and over.

    Have fun on your vacation. I can't tell you how much I will miss you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you record so much here in this blog. It's so awesome to read all of this. I love it! I hope you have a WONDERFUL and stress-free, relaxing, refreshing vacation! You deserve it. I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete