| trying to peek at himself in mirror after washing hands |
Andrew hates diaper changes. I hate diapers. Since we had a long weekend, we thought we'd try a weekend of potty training and see if Andrew is ready. We started Sunday since we had service on Saturday and couldn't be home all day. But Sunday, Andrew went all day without diapers (except for his one nap.) He had a long sleeved shirt, and we used some of my socks as leg warmers, and then he had no diaper or pants on so he was bare bottomed. He did really well I think. Sure we had more accidents than success, but we had success! And when he had an accident, I handed him a rag and told him to clean it up, and he cleaned up his mess every single time. (we did help by finishing the job, but he made a great effort at cleaning!)
Day two: It's hard to say whether or not Andrew is ready. He is so smart, so I know he is capable (and he's proven that) but emotionally he may not be ready, and hopefully after a few days we'll know that answer. He used to tell us when he needed to go potty by signing - although it usually wasn't with enough warning to do anything about it, sometimes it was. He stopped telling us a few weeks ago. Today, I noticed he'd stop and look down whenever he had to go pee. Again, without telling us first. The flow stopped when we said "no, pee goes in the potty." He would then whine as we took him to the potty. After a couple of minutes of whining and asking to get down - he would go, he'd get rewarded and be happy. Then he had to go back and clean up his pee off the floor - and although he didn't fight us in actually cleaning it up (which I have to say is TOO CUTE to see), he did whine and fuss through it. We think he understands the concept, but we're not entirely sure he recognizes that feeling of needing to pee with enough warning to tell us and hold it in. That feeling possibly catches him off guard. He has proven to us that he can pee on command on the toilet when he chooses to comply, although he may not be able to every single time. But I guess that is part of this process, teaching him to recognize those feelings and connect the action that needs to be taken. Do I think he will potty train within a few days? no. Do I think that these few days of trying are benefiting him and preparing him more? absolutely. He's been great. Today I think he only had three accidents, but that is partly due to us reminding him all day and a few times putting him on the potty just to try. Ted finds it amusing to see the outfit Andrew is in. The past two days its a firetruck themed shirt, bare bottom, and tan/brown striped socks with dark teal stripes around his thighs and at the toes, and neon green/yellow crocs. I refuse to take pictures that he will find embarrassing later, but I do have some pictures that show the outfit with his package covered enough to be decent.
Day three: We decided he's not really ready. He can do it, and he can choose to communicate it to us - but he's not really ready. So although we potty trained up until nap - we decided to just go to the park and have fun in the afternoon. It was daddy's last day off and since we knew the potty training wasn't going to last, we might as well have fun.
At the park he enjoyed running around and climbing. It was a bit cooler than we anticipated and then it got breezy so we didn't stay as long as we planned to. At one point a bunch of bigger kids arrived with three moms. They implemented a buddy system and were off. The moms were walking a dog on the sidewalk and just walking slowly back and forth. Andrew decided to join them. He got in the middle and walked with them and then when they stopped I came over and we pet the dog. When they started walking again, Andrew joined them. He never once looked to see where I was. At one point, when they turned back around and were coming my direction, I spoke up and said, "Andrew, do you not care that not one of these mommies are yours?" He pointed at me and said, "mom" and that was it. No, he didn't care. He is so confident - but those moms all have so many kids of all ages, they easily could have picked up an extra without realizing right away.
Andrew also enjoyed running down the hill the drainage ditch made. He'd climb up to the walkway, and then kind of run down into the ditch and try to get up the other side. Back and forth. He nearly did a face plant a couple of times when he got on the hill that was a little too steep.
Its the season for consignment sales again. I only went to one, and was primarily looking for sleeveless shirts. I found a few more t-shirts and shorts for $1-2 each that look nice, but no tank tops. I did find a short sleeved dress shirt. I did buy him a stand alone potty seat (Ted thinks he'd be more inclined to use that later when he wants to be independent, since he needs our help to sit on the toilet. Maybe. It was only $8.) And I got him some toy cars and trucks since he likes those so much, in several different sizes so he could take his pick. I got a tray that fits over a seat since it was only $1 and will come in handy. And then I got some diaper covers for my studio and donated $1 to the Children's Home and only spent $29 total. I came home with a big bag of stuff so I think I did really well.
Saturday after one of my photoshoots, Andrew and I were playing in the backdrops. I chase him around and we laugh and cuddle and rough house. Daddy eventually joined us. I'd chase Andrew around the curtain and daddy would snag him and hold him for a second. Then at one point daddy snagged me up and trapped me in his arms. I called to Andrew to "help mommy, I'm stuck in daddy's arms!" Andrew came around that curtain, bared his teeth and had a look on his face like he was going to kill daddy. He got really close and shrieked in a high pitch voice and louuuud! We were both stunned! We commended him for protecting mommy but were a little disturbed too at the look he gave. lol I had expected him to just pile on. He loves our little "group hugs" we have every day.
Speaking of photoshoots... Nana comes to babysit so I can work. When my clients walk through, Andrew points to Nana and says, "Nana" to make sure they know who she is!
When I give him his baths, I use the shower to get him all wet and wash his hair. But I also let him play with the water coming out of the shower head. Lately, he really likes running through it or sticking his face in it quickly. He also asks, yes asks, to lay down on his back in the water. He has a hard time relaxing his head because the water tickles his ears, but he asks over and over and over again to lay down. So I help him lay down on his back and when he says 'up' I help him sit up again.
When he is eating in his high chair, he reaches around both sides of the table (where the latches are that allow you to adjust the table) and he tries to get the table to move. He hasn't figured it out yet. So, he resorts to using his toes to pushing out the cup holders and then reaches over to push them back in. That is his in-chair entertainment I guess.

Cute pics! That was indeed quite an ...interesting (?) outfit he had on....Not that he would care..I am sure the bare bottom was fun for him.
ReplyDeleteOHMYGOODNESS I miss you all SO MUCH!!! I love being able to read these and stay updated. Give Andrew hugs and kisses from Aunt ¨S¨, lol. I love you all!
ReplyDelete