Sunday, September 27, 2015

Saving the World - As a Six Year Old

Andrew drew a two-headed monster that appears to have bulldozer buckets as hands. He told me all about it but I don't remember anything he said other than calling it his "ultra eggo" and I think he meant 'alter ego'. Lol. I love him.

September 12 - I had told Andrew that when he smiles at me like he does, it just melts my heart. 
A few minutes later, he was starting at me with his strange posed smile. "Mom... I'm melting your heart right now." LOL he is a riot

He likes to come sneaking up the stairs with a big blanket covering his body. He slowly and deliberately waves his arms in and out - but he's absolutely silent. Until he realizes you've seen him and then he starts giggling.

One Sunday we were getting dressed for meeting. I had on a pretty blue dress that everyone compliments me on when I wear, and slipped on a blue sapphire ring. Andrew's response was, " "I don't know yet how beautiful you are mom. But I notice that ring on your finger and that helps."  Lil' stinker.
As I was tying his shoe he says "You are so well dressed, you outsmarted me." I don't even know what that means.

He is part of a Chess club now!  TONS of kids K-6th in it. I think they said it was one of the largest in the state. The first day was the 16th, it's for an hour before school starts on Wednesdays. The first day, all the newbies were taken to a different room and introduced to all the moves each piece can make.
Two cute moments:
The coach created a scenario with one black bishop and two white rooks and asked, "if I want to capture this dark bishop, which rook would I use?" Andrew replied, "the white one." The answer was either one, but technically Andrew was still correct. Lol
Later, he was talking about different levels and how a Grand Master usually is introduced and gets a solid idea of the game by age 5 or 6 and has those synapses developed. Andrew turned and flashed me a huge smile.
He asked to have a parfait for lunch, so I had packed it Tuesday night so I wouldn't have to make it in the morning before running out the door for chess club. Andrew was up before 5:50a.m. dressed and ready. He told me he didn't want to be late on the first day.  We didn't have to leave until 7:30! Anyway, I walked into the kitchen just in time for him to be trying to transfer the parfait into a bowl to eat for breakfast.  Thankfully, none of it came out but a few sprinkles of granola - so I didn't have to remake lunch! 

As of the 17th - he's officially a six year old! I came out of the bathroom, still kind of dark, and Andrew was standing outside the door. In a creepy soft voice he says, "Mom, I'm six." I gasped, "That's right!!! Good morning my big six year old!!" as I threw my arms around him. I think he was expecting to miraculously be taller and stronger overnight. I explained to him multiple times in the week that he grows a little bit every day - it's not going to be one big jump. But I guess I expected that too sometimes as a kid.
The next day he said, "This is my second day being six."  And the next day, "This is my third day being six."   I guess it's a big deal to him.  lol

One day after school let out, he asked if he could run around to get some extra energy out. I asked, "can't you do that at home?"  He said, "But it takes more energy to run uphill."  I can't argue with that. So I let him make a few laps around in the school yard going up and down the little hill.
The teacher said that he needs to work on being less chatty, and also raising his hand to give others a chance to answer. He replied, "but the answers come into my head so much faster."  She said she knew that, but that we still need to show respect to other people and give them a chance.  So far he breezes through his homework every night too, it's all so easy for him. Every once in a while, he makes a mistake that I point out to him, but usually he has it all right.

He needs more bookmarks. He reads so many books simultaneously, that he ends up using small toys or other books as bookmarks. I dont know how he can keep each story straight.  Another sister loaned him a big Calvin and Hobbes book and he was 90 pages into it by the next day. But then he's also reading books he brings home from school, and books he has off his own shelf. 
Joy and Barry sent him a box of gifts including four books that allow you to choose your own endings. I will be interested in seeing how he enjoys those since he can read them several different times with a different story line!

Andrew told me that when he gets older, he is going to build a shield like Captain America's and go out and save the world.  What a nice thought.  I'm afraid that it was a disappointment to him when I told him that if really were that easy, then other people would be doing it too. Jehovah and Jesus are the only hope for saving the world.

Wednesday September 23rd, Andrew was up super early again. This time, though, I found him still in a dark room, completely under the covers, with a stand of glow sticks lighting his little tent while he ate Leaping Lemurs cereal dry. He's so cute. 
On the way to school he told me I was driving like an old lady. I asked how and he said because I was driving really slow.  lol  I actually had to explain to him why I was approaching my red light slowly instead of slamming on the breaks once I got to it and risking choking us both with seatbelts. silly kid.
In the afternoon, he told me that he "ate hair today." He decided he wanted to know what his hair tasted like and pulled it off his head and ate it. And it was delicious.  ?? weird.
We drove up to Idaho Springs and met the Waggoners for pizza at BeauJo's. We walked around the cute little town. Andrew loved all the hand puppets at one store, as well as a "Buddha Board" which is a pressed bamboo paper board that you wet a paint brush with water to 'paint' on. Then it dries in a couple of minutes and you can reuse it. It was pretty neat!  At the pizza place, he enjoyed being able to go to the salad bar like everyone else and pick out what he wants.

Friday  was an early release from school. The high school held a parade and threw candy to them - that was very exciting to him. He'd been looking forward to that all week.

Saturday, the 26th - we were off to Aurora for our Circuit Assembly. We had the entire Waggoner family sitting with us and Andrew enjoyed having his friends so close. He also enjoyed the freedom of being able to walk around looking for other friends. He got to run around and play outside for a while before it started as well as during the lunch break. He got all hot and sweaty then though. He also liked being able to watch the Baptism on the big screen.
We had scheduled for friends to come over and eat chili and play our Paradise board game we made after the assembly, but it didn't work out. Andrew and I both were disappointed, but it was probably better that he got to go to bed earlier than 10 since we had a fishing trip planned for the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment