Monday, December 22, 2014

Heaven

A couple of weeks ago, Andrew had a rough day at school. There is a behavior stick at school. Gold is at the top - for exceptional behavior and help. Blue is where everyone starts the day and usually stays. White is down from blue and is a warning. Red is the bottom - you're in big trouble. You have to walk for several minutes at recess and could eat alone I think. He got 'moved down to red' after having been moved to white, and had a hard time coming back up. He was very upset that he didn't move back up by the end of the day.
I don't remember anymore what happened that evening, but he felt like he couldn't do anything right at home either.  When I was putting him to bed, I stayed with him for a few minutes and we chatted. He asked me if Jehovah and Jesus ever make mistakes. I told him no, they were perfect.  "It's not fair!!" he exclaimed in a grumpy voice. I turned it around and suggested it was a wonderful thing that they were perfect. Because then they could understand why it's so hard for us sometimes, they are forgiving when we do mess up, and they are always eager to help us. I can't recall what else I said, but it did soften the blow to his mind.

Another day he wanted to know all about heaven and what there is to do there compared to staying on earth. And if Satan started out as a perfect angel, why he chose to do bad things and was thrown out of heaven.

Another time he asked me about Jesus roll in our being offered life in Paradise. Did Jesus want to die to give us life? Why did he have to die for us to have life?

The Kindergarten teacher said that on Friday she'd like to offer a 'book exchange' among the students before they have their holiday party and are dismissed for winter break. I bought a book and wrapped it. When Andrew saw it he said it'd get put under a Christmas tree. I suggested he take the book and ask if the book exchange on Friday morning was holiday related. If so, he could keep the book since we don't celebrate xmas, and if it's not related, then I don't know how it all plays out.  We tried to explain what other people believe Christmas to be, but what the Bible says. And that we try to servce Jehovah with truth and what is right.  I asked him if he was comfortable asking the teacher about the book exchange and what to do/say based on her answer.. he said that was too much pressure on him. Daddy said not to bother sending the book in at all because Andrew still seems confused as to what Christmas even is and why others celebrate it and why we don't. 
I wrote to the teacher and her reply was, "
Im sure it is confusing and difficult for Andrew to understand Christmas versus religion. He processes things on a different and higher level.  Even as adults...we share the same feelings at times. I would continue to express to Andrew that everyone is different.... and that is one reason the world is such a wonderful place to live in.  Always address his concerns, but I wouldn't go into great detail...even though his vocabulary is vast for his age, the semantics of words is continuing to grow and develop...he can be confused at times.
We are having a book exchange before the Christmas party...even though the books are under the tree....my emphasis is about giving and sharing with others."
I told her we do remind him that everyone is different and sometimes we're going to be the odd one out. I've told him that we are all going to believe different things and that is okay. What is important is for him to focus on what is truthful and do what he feels is right at any given time.  Then, with regards to the book - it's up to Andrew.  Let him do whatever he is comfortable with. If it goes under the tree and it doesn't bother him, I'm not going to stress it.  I want him to develop his own conscience and learn to follow his intuition, not just do what mommy and daddy say.  All of this will get tuned as he ages and will not be held against him. 

Saturday December 20th we picked up Nana and headed to the Assembly in Cookeville.  Andrew did so well! He was very well behaved and obedient. He played hard at lunchtime and went into a coughing fit a few times (he's had a lot of drainage lately). Before the last talk, he went into another coughing fit so he and Ted went to the car where they fell asleep. We stopped at Kroger on the way home and picked up veggies to juice as well as some conventional medicine. It about killed me to buy it - but we needed something that would work fast to thin the mucus and slow the coughing so he could sleep.

Sunday he went to the farm with me to give therapy to Papa who is still recovering from Shingles. Much of the way there he was asking me about Heaven again. He is really set on going to heaven. He wanted to know how people *know* they are going, when they go, how they go, and if there is ground to stand on there.  I tried to answer all of those questions and also explained that it was unlikely that Jehovah would choose someone who is only 5 years old to be of the anointed. And I reminded him that someone who doesn't want to go in service, was complaining about having to sit at the assembly, didn't want to do his bible reading, and didn't like being obedient to parents is not a good candidate for heaven. He couldn't argue that point.  It was about that time we reached their driveway and he said, "Is this discussion finished now?"  lol  He was well behaved there. After a nice nap we headed to the Laffertys house for dinner where the Pingles joined us too. He enjoyed playing with all their toys. We did let him try out the neighbors sauna for just a couple of minutes at a time since Blake and Samantha kept going in too. He was excited to be included in that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment