Sunday, May 26, 2013

Buttons and Yard Work

One morning I came down the hallway to find Andrew literally climbing the shelves in the pantry. 

"I can do it all by my own."  I love that he still says that. He's getting the hang of buttons on shirts and pants, and is always so proud of himself even if it takes longer than he wants it to. I remind him that some buttons are still hard for me, and it's okay to ask for help anytime.

Tuesday daddy showed him how to weed the garden. He came in asking for some gloves and sunglasses. Then when daddy had the weedwacker going, I came out to find Andrew with his rain boots and sunglasses on pushing his pretend lawn mower around the garden beds.  Then he got his tiny wheelbarrow out and put grass clippings in it and pushed it to the garage. He saw me with the camera and stopped to tell me that it hurt his back to push that tiny wheel barrow.




He's been lazy about helping keep the house clean lately. He'll pull out something with a ton of pieces to it, leave it out and get something else out.  But then if I ask him to pick it up he says, "I'm not done with it yet" and will sit down and play for a minute.


Andrew put on a hand-me-down superman shirt.
I asked, "Are you going to be Superman today?"
He said, "No. That's pretend. I'm just a guy."



He has heard other people tell him "You're so smart!" a lot lately. I try not to tell him that (though sometimes I tell him to BE smart!)  This week he's started telling me, "I'm smart!"

Friday afternoon he pulled out the tennis rackets and asked to play Tennis.  We actually ended up playing baseball using the tennis racket as a bat, and a soft mini football and soft mini water volleyball as the baseballs.  He did alright!  We all had fun playing as a family. 

Saturday we had friends over. There were four kids. Andrew and Delilah (both turn 4 in September), and then Samantha who will be 6 in August, and Alexis who is 8.  The pool was open but the water still cold. It didn't stop them. We let Andrew get in with his life vest, and let Delilah use last years vest. Sam could doggie paddle a short distance and Alexis could swim but not touch the bottom. All of us moms were on the sideline stressing that at some point one of us would have to jump in for something. We had a few close calls. At one point, Delilah and Andrew were swimming side by side and she grabbed onto Andrew and pushed him under for a moment. He swallowed some water and fortunately was in arms reach of Alexis who was on the ladder. Shawna was able to pull him out of the water and I had him catch his breathe before letting him back in.  Later Delilah had it out with an inner-tube and thankfully was able to keep her head above water and got the tube off her head;  we didn't have to jump in. We decided to pull them all out after that and have dinner. Andrew was shivering in the pool anyway and was practically stuttering when I was changing him into warm play clothes.  They all played really well together and had a great evening. The guys played football, and us moms got to just sit and visit for a good while. Very pleasant pre-anniversary dinner for us.

Sunday on the way to meeting, he asked us if we could buy a clock that dings. Ted said something about a cuckoo clock and Andrew then asked if we could get a cuckoo clock. We asked why and he said, "Because they're cool and they're not too loud."  I told him when he can always tell time on that kind of clock - we will consider it.  I said something about him having to learn how to count by 5's first. Then he said, "5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35, 40, 45 .... 60!"  I told him he almost had it and corrected him. He filled in those numbers and said, "See! I can tell time on a clock!" 
We went to the morning meeting so we could all have naps. Then we had Linda Vaal come over and babysit so Ted and I could go out to dinner together alone. They had a great time together and we got home just in time to get him tucked in as he was in bed telling Linda "I want my mommy"

Sunday he told me in the bathroom - "you don't have to tuck in my shirt. I can do it by my self." It's the first time he's said 'my self' instead of 'my own'

No comments:

Post a Comment