Sunday I bought a small trampoline from another lady in town. She even delivered it. I left it outside at first but when we were listening to the meeting by phone (Ted has bronchitis and Andrew is coughing) Andrew was just too noisy. So I brought it in. He got all excited, "Is that for me?!!" It took less than five minutes for him to start jumping from the trampoline to the couch and vise versa. He is really enjoying having it.
Well, we made it a full three years before he got sick to the point of vomiting. Not sure what caused it. He's had a cough for a couple of weeks like everyone else we know, but hasn't ever acted sick. Monday morning at 2:28a.m. I awoke to him crying hysterically for daddy. I ran in there and calmed him down and asked him what he needed. He calmly said, "I need a drink." I said, "Okay, I'll get you a drink." He burped.. and then all of a sudden started throwing up over and over. I yelled to Ted to come help me. He brought some towels and when there was a pause, he ran Andrew to the bathroom. I got everything cleaned up, got him some water to rinse his mouth with, and some juice to drink. Then it was back to bed. The entire incident was only about 35 minutes from start to finish and we were back in bed.
He was talking around 4:30, babbling a bit at 5, and up at 6:30. He said he was feeling fine and wanted to go to school, but it didn't seem right. So... he missed his first day of school. I'm glad I kept him home. He cuddled into a pillow on the couch around 12:15 and I stroked his head and then laid on the floor. I checked at 12:30 and he was asleep. He woke up around 1 and moved to his bed and slept until around 3:30. He had no appetite all day which is unusual.
Tuesday morning he woke up feeling much better. He still has that lingering cough. I asked him if he wanted to go to school today or if he wanted to stay home. He said he wanted to go. A few minutes later, he let Flash inside and I overheard, "Flash kitty - you want to go to Spring Hollow?"
I have been trying to teach him to say 'no thank you' if there is something he is offered that he does not want. Well, Tuesday morning, I was the one being corrected. I was sitting on the potty and Andrew came in and offered me an envelope with sticky tape on it. I told him, "I'm on the potty, I don't want that right now." He turned to leave and then looked at me and in a low tone said, "no thank you." I smiled and said, "yes, you're right. No thank you is a much nicer way to say that."
He seemed to enjoy his first day at Spring Hollow Early Learning Center. Before getting off the front steps, he had to double check that I was not going to leave him at the school alone. I told him I would stay for a little while and I wouldn't leave until he felt settled. He double checked again before sitting in his car seat. It felt a bit overwhelming when we got there. Lots of kids and parents and activity. Andrew was being a bit bashful and really just wanted to play with the wooden car tracks alone. A few people came to introduce themselves but Andrew made minimal conversation and went back to what he was doing. At circle time (to get their day started) he was a little chatterbox at first, but as more kids collected to the circle and things started getting more organized, he clammed up and observed.
Soon the kids were allowed to choose their activities. Andrew was trying to play with the wooden tracks again. The elevator of the garage wasn't working so the teacher gave him a screw driver, they took it apart, analyzed how to fix it, and put it back together. He really liked that. Then all of a sudden he announced, "I want my rain boots." He was very confused about where his belongings were. He was checking his lunchbox looking for his raincoat. I helped him locate his raincoat and went outside and showed him where his rainboots were. He wanted to ride the bikes so I got a helmet for him and off he went. After one ride along the sidewalk, I asked him if I could go home now and come back at 3 o'clock to get him. He said 'yes.' I went inside to talk to the teacher briefly, and then asked again when I came out. He said I could leave!
They said he was playful and seemed to fit in just fine over the course of the day. I was told he was the only child who said, "may I please be excused" after finishing his lunch. They were in circle time for reflection when I got there. When he saw me, he came running out and said he wanted to go home with a big smile on his face. I told him we'd leave in a little bit, but he could finish in circle time. Then he decided he didn't really want to go home, he wanted to stay and play. It took some convincing for him to realize - everyone - was going home. I told him he'd be back on Friday.
Tuesday evening I was exhausted and volunteered the idea that we all sit on the couch to eat our homemade nachos/taco salads and watch a movie. At one point, Ted asked him if he was finished chewing the bite in his mouth. He started to pretend chewing to avoid taking another bite right away!
He's so silly. But I'd say his first day at school was a success. He was even pleasant all evening despite the changes and having no nap.
Tuesday, October 2, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I am glad things went well. Hope he continues to like it.
ReplyDelete