Monday, April 25, 2011

"Yeah... Uh huh"

Andrew LOVES to RUN. When he has a toy he can push around outside, he just runs and runs and runs. He watches his feet and laughs while he is barreling across the driveway and around the corner of the house.  In the yard he squats down next to a dandelion and feels it and studies it then asks me to pick it for him. He plunks himself down in front of the dandelion that has gone to seed and laughs before pulling all the seeds off and blowing them or scattering them around. (great little helper in planting dandelions I might say! We should have an entire lot of them by next summer.)

He also loves showers. You can actually coax him to come inside by offering him a bath or shower. He's not so interested in just sitting in the bathtub to play with toys. He wants to play with the running water from the faucet or shower, put his toy cheetah through the shower, put the submarine down the drain, and eat the crayon. Sometimes he'll sit and splash still. Overall, though, he is not interested in the toys.  He'll turn the shower on and off - I think he likes that it runs across his face when it first turns on. He also likes sticking his tongue in the shower.  However, he'll stick his face in the water and blow bubbles, and then when the water gets low enough he still gives raspberries to the tub.  Sometimes he even wants to lie down on the tub floor and let the water tickle his ears.  He enjoys showers with us too - though he has no toys at all in our shower. He crawls back and forth and splashes and rearranges the shampoo bottles.

We love hearing his "yeah" and "uh huh" when he wants something.

Andrew really enjoys looking at family pictures. I made a book out of the ones we took of all the Werme side of the family when he turned one. He would sit and look at that all day if I let him. I'm still trying to teach him the names of his cousins, aunts, and uncles. Saturday was the first time I recall him saying 'Papa' although I dont think I'd ever asked him before if he could say it. He started saying it over and over again and getting softer and softer as he said it and soon it was just a whisper.  I asked him if he could say Dianna and said it perfectly clearly the first time, and then it came out Dinah after that. I can't get him to say anyone else's names.

He got to play with a toad/frog for the first time on Saturday. He seemed excited to meet the little critter.. but he just wanted to poke it.

He gets great delight in trying to run over Flash with his big toys. Poor Flash kitty. Although I think Flash enjoys it too to be honest. There's only been a couple of times that Flash seemed to come to me to be rescued - the rest of the time he engages Andrew and gets him to chase him and then taunts Andrew a little bit.

He pushes toys or things down his slide and says "weeee". Sunday evening, Ted held him upside down to reach a sippy cup on the floor and Andrew said, "weee!" 

Sunday morning he was pressing buttons on a toy someone gave him. He looked up at daddy and said, "wOw!"

Papa Bruce gave the talk in our congregation today. We managed to get Andrew down for a second nap early enough for him to get a good recharge. However, I couldn't wake him up to take him to the meeting! So I sent Ted ahead and listened by phone. Once he woke up I changed him and darted out the door. We pulled into the parking lot just as the talk ended. It took him about another 10 minutes to realize that Papa was sitting on the other side of Nana when we sat down. It was so cute when he noticed though. You hear a surprise gasp and then he points to Papa and keeps whispering "Pa-pa, Pa-pa."

We had several friends over for dinner Sunday evening. He had a blast playing with all the Perry kids and having kids play with his toys.  He even shared a plate of fruit with Jade (more like seeing how much of it he could eat before she did.) And he tried to run over Joy with a tonka truck, and tried to run over Jade with the vacuum... but other than that he did really well. As soon as the last ones were leaving, Andrew brought the vacuum cleaner over and tried to plug it in! I plugged it in for him and he tried to press the power button. I turned that on for him, and he started vacuuming!  Then after we turned it off, he unplugged it himself.  Boy he is so perceptive and knows so much!

This evening we took the pool cover off. Andrew of course found a puddle of water to splash in on top of the cover that was on the ground. He had a blast! Even sticking his face in the puddle to blow bubbles.

After dinner he asked for his video. Once that was over I went to his bathroom and asked "Andrew, do you want a bath?"  He didn't say 'uh huh.' Instead, he pointed down the hallway and made a pathetic sounding grunt to ask if he could have a shower instead.  So I asked, "You want a shower instead?"  Then came that high pitched, "uh huh!"  I said, "Okay" and no sooner was that word off my lips he was racing down the hallway. On his way through my bedroom he ripped off his cloth diaper and left it on the floor, and he was climbing over the side of the tub by the time I caught up with him. He had fun playing with all the shampoo bottles, lining them up, knocking them over, and putting them back. Then he played with the shower brush. Happy as a lark!


1 comment:

  1. He's just too funny. I love it! (Umm, he has called me aunt "Essss", I won't let you forget! lol) Love you, see you sooooooon!!!

    ReplyDelete